I love those things about God that defy explanation. I love how He is both the King and Lord over all creation and also a humble servant. I love how He is both three distinct persons and yet very clearly ONE God. The last month or so, I’ve been stuck on the concept of how He is by nature LOVE (1 John 4:8, 16) and yet is also angry every day (Psalm 7:11).
God’s wrath in relation to his love.
I haven’t yet organized all my thoughts, but in studying the scriptures, the following ten thoughts have been coming up again and again.
1. The very nature and being of God is love, not wrath.
2. The love and wrath of God are not contradictory concepts.
3. God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, and His nature has not changed nor will it ever change.
4. The wrath of God is solidly based in, built on, tempered by, and dependent on His love.
5. The love of God is most starkly and clearly revealed to us through His wrath.
6. What God loves is defined through His wrath.
7. Whom God loves is delineated in His wrath.
8. The wrath and love of God are most clearly understood in terms of His jealousy.
9. The love of God is no less real when His wrath is directed towards those whom He loves and who love Him.
10. The wrath of God brings the knowledge of God.